Brand: Manos del Uruguay
Weight / ply: 4 ply / fingering
Ball size: 100 g
Metres (yards): 407 m (445 yards)
Fibre: 75 % Merino; 25% nylon
Needle size: 2.25 mm to 3.5 mm
Colour type: semi solid, speckled, variegated
Care: gentle machine wash; hand wash recommended
Ravelry link: https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/manos-del-uruguay-alegria
Alegria is Manos del Uruguay’s sock yarn – but don’t let that stop you using it for gorgeous shawls or sweaters! It’s silky and light, and over and over again people say it’s a pleasure to work with. More than one fibre artist calls it “love at first touch.” It’s made of 75% Superwash Merino, 25% Polyamide, and the dye is hand-painted on the fibres. Because it’s hand–dyed in small batches we strongly recommend you buy all your skeins for a project at once!
Manos del Uruguay was founded in 1968 as a way to give women in rural villages an opportunity to work. It’s been wildly successful, and is now owned by the artisans that make the yarn.
Manos del Uruguay Alegria Patterns
- The Regal Cardigan is a beautiful sweater crochet pattern with eye-catching lace sections.
- The Zipper sock knitting pattern has stitchwork that…wait for it…looks like a zipper!
- The Arequita tunic knitting pattern has a gorgeous lace motif.
- The Spring Bloom sock pattern has a lace pattern on the cuff as well as a stripe pattern on the foot.
- If you want a big, cozy cardigan the Rag Rug Cardigan knitting pattern is exactly what you need!
- Are you looking for a nice big knitting project? The Goldfish Memory wrap, which is a parallelogram knit on the bias, might be what you need.
- If Galadriel wore socks, she would wear the Ipomoea sock. It must be seen (and knitted) to be believed.
If you want something similar that uses linen in the yarn, try Manos del Uruguay’s Milo yarn.