Weight / ply: 4 ply / fingering
Ball size: 100 g
Metres (yards): 384 m (420 yards)
Fibre: 100 % Merino
Needle size: 2.75 mm to 3.5 mm
Colour type: semi solid, tonal, speckle, variegated
Care: gentle machine wash; hand wash recommended
Malabrigo Mechita is a gorgeous fingering weight yarn made from 100% superwash merino. It is soft and lauded for the way it makes stitch patterns clear on lacework projects. It’s dyed in lots of five skeins, and if you order up to five skeins we’ll do our best to make sure they are from the same dye lot.
Malabrigo began in a kitchen in Uruguay in 2005, with two brothers-in-law hand-dyeing yarn in a pot on the stove. Ever since, they’ve been known for their high-quality yarns, mostly made from Uruguayan wool. One of the reasons we love Malabrigo is because they only use wool from producers with a “no mulesing” policy, which reduces cruelty to sheep.
Malabrigo Mechita Patterns
- Milkweed is a beautiful pullover sweater pattern with the title flower at the yoke.
- Reyna is a free lacework shawl knitting pattern perfect for one skein of yarn.
- The Stormy Sky Shawl is a free asymmetrical shawl pattern that is especially good for beginners.
- The Longline Cardigan is a size-inclusive pattern designed to look great with everything!
- The Jewel Dragon is a scarf with intricate stitchwork like a dragon’s scales.
- The Afternoon in Lisbon top is a short-sleeve top knitting pattern with stitchwork on the shoulders designed to echo Lisbon’s famous tiles.
If you are looking for something similar in a worsted weight yarn, we recommend Malabrigo Rios.